Friday, August 7, 2009

Early Friday Recap


Vfl Wolfsburg 2: 0 VfB Stuttgart
The Bundesliga kicked off this afternoon with a good match between Wolfsburg and Stuttgart. The first half was a lively affair that saw a few long range efforts from both sides be parried away by goalkeepers. In the 27th, Stuttgart worked a nice move that involved 2 backheeled passes, but the final ball fell just out of reach. For the first 20 minutes after the half time break, Stuttgart looked like they were going to walk out of the fortress that Wolfsburg have crafted out of VW Arena with a well earned point. In the 70th minute however, Zvjezdan Misimović dashed the Reds hopes with a super strike from the top of the 18 that curled around Jens Lehman and into the left side of the net. Things turned even bleaker for VfB in the 80th minute when defender Christian Träsch broke his left hand and could not continue. Stuttgart had already made all 3 of their allotted subs, meaning they had to play the last 10 minutes a man down. Grafite is a tough enough man to contain with a full side, and Stuttagart's 10 man side was no match for him. The Brazilian broke through in the 83rd minute and rolled the 2nd goal past Mad Jens. Watch the goals here- http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3143075/
I watched this one on GOL TV, this was my first experience with the channel. Some thoughts:
-Play by play man Phil Schoen was solid throughout the match, his best attribute was how little he said that annoyed me, something that can not be said for many other American commentators.
-I doubt the GOL people were controlling the cameras, but whoever was at the controls struggled a bit, a couple times Stuttgart or Wolfsburg would have the ball at the top of the box, but the camera inexplicably would be showing the action from the other side of the field
- I know ESPN took a lot of junk during the 2006 World Cup for taking up the screen with their bottom line and full screen pop-ups, but GOL TV and Univision have taken to doing the same things. I don't know why GOL had the urge in the middle of the match to shrink the game down to 1/4 size to show me their lineup for tomorrow, but it's a small quibble I suppose.
In the other match I teased earlier, Boro drew with Sheffield United 0-0. My online stream was finnicky throughout and I really don't think I have much of value to add to that one.
Look later tonight for a preview of tomorrow's action, including what I hope to be Charlie Davies' debut with Sochaux.

No comments:

Post a Comment